Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My view of child development

My view on child development has largely been shaped by those who came before me. Early in my career I saw a quote by Jennie Lindon who is a child psychologist who has written many books about early care and learning. The quote is


 " A skilled five year old grows from a busy four year old, a curious three year old, a cuddled two year old, an adventurous one year old and a communicative baby."

This quote embodies how children grow and develop. Infants who are spoken too, held and communicated with form secure attachments and begin to explore on their own all the while still knowing that they can come back to the adults in their environment and be reassured and know that they are loved and cared for. The secure attachments that develop during the infant and toddler years allow for preschoolers to ask questions and try new things. It is trying new things that increases skill level and abilities that are the foundation for later school and life success.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tamera,
    very nice quote, it really shows hows important is to communicate with children and form secure attachment which helps children positively later in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamera,
    Secure attachments are the basis for a solid development within a child. Thank you for sharing! Good luck in all of your endeavors at Walden University!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tamera,

    I just wanted to say thank you for all of your great conversations through our discussions and your feedback on my posts. I have really learned a lot from you and it has been great to see your view on topics we learn throughout the weeks! You bring in a wealth of great knowledge and I am happy to have met you within this course. I hope we will be in future courses together because I would definitely love to hear your perspectives on future topics. Good luck with your program and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamera,
    I enjoyed reading, and what a great quote about early childhood development. I value your knowledge and insight you have in early childhood . Thank you for showing me how to be a excellent colleague

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tamera
    Children needs to be love, nutured and cared for. Thanks for your posted as well as your comments. Good luck in your future classes.

    ReplyDelete