Saturday, September 27, 2014

My Connections to Play

"Almost all creativity involves purposeful play. "

-Albert Maslow

Growing up I was always in roller skates, everywhere I went skates were my main means of transportation. When I was wearing skates I was happy I felt that they were connected to me. When I didn't have my skates on it was like a piece of myself was missing. The second I got home from school my skates would go on, my mom would continually send me outside because I would be skating in the house. When she sent me outside it was not only to get me out of the house it was to get me to play and explore. My  mom bought me pair after pair of roller skates, and never questioned why I was wearing them. I could skate around the block, to the park, friends house and school without concern or worry. I did not have a cellphone and was not required to be supervised every second of the day.

 

 

The second item that I played with on a regular basis was Legos. I played with my Legos almost every day. I would sit on the floor (in my roller skates) and build with Legos for hours. Legos provided me with a way to explore design and building because when I was a child Legos did not come in kits with complex instructions or a right way to build a building or car. I was not limited by the instructions, I could create using a variety of little bricks in a multitude of colors.

Today most toys or play items have a purpose or a correct way to use then. Children are given kits to create an certain item or object. We are not giving children the time to explore and create on their own without rules or instructions. Children need to be given materials and told to create.

"Play fosters belonging and encourages cooperation."

-Stuart Brown M.D.

2 comments:

  1. Well I can honestly say I hated skates when I was child until I actually took the time to learn how to skate. When I learned it was fun. I loved riding my bike and guess what it took me a very long time to learn how to ride my bike without training wheels. I played with legos at school, doctor office, friends house. I can honestly say I didn't play with legos in my house. Now Barbie's were my loves I played Barbie's all the way until my 11th grade year in high school!1

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger I also liked to play with legos. My mom and I would sit on the floor and we would build houses and other things out of legos without instructions. I do agree that everything children are given today has a right and wrong way to play with it. I don't agree with that children should be given the freedom to play with things as they chose to.

    ReplyDelete