Saturday, May 16, 2015

Family Culture

In the field of Early Childhood Education we are often asked to examine our family cultural views are the importance of cultural items. This week as I look at cultural and diversity I was asked if I needed to be evacuated to a foreign county what three small items would I take and why. This was hard for me to answer, because I don't feel that I have any tangible items that are of cultural significance to me. There are several things that are of sentimental value to me and my family, including pictures, but don't carry any cultural value to me, My culture is ingrained in me, it cannot be reduced to trinkets or items. It is who I am to my core, my attitude, ideals, and views on life, politics, parenting etc. These traits I would carry with me wherever I go. If I had to pick one tangible  item I guess it would be my wedding ring, I would take this because it is a part of my social identity and a way to hold my family close to me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tamera,

    It is very difficult to think about being evacuate from our current place and having to relocate by force... especially only being able to take three items! I agree that our culture is naturally a part of us and no one can take that away. A wedding ring is part of a wife's social identity and culture. That was one of my three items as well :) Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete