Saturday, June 13, 2015

Discrimination in the media

Last weekend my sisters and I watched a few movies and as I watched them I was struck by the discrimination that I saw in both movies. The first movie we watched was Mc Farland USA, in this movies there were several incidents of racial bias, stereotyping, and discrimination. As I watched this was struck by the strength in the children in the movie, and of my own children who are half-Mexican and have at times have faced discrimination or been stereotyped based on their ethnicity.

My daughters were on my  mind in the second movie The Duff, in this movie the comments and gender stereotypes that were the basis of this movie. As I watched this movie I felt disgusted about how the guys and girls treated each other, and everything was based on the way the girls look and that their looks were tied to their value and self-worth.

The media portrayal of race, ethnicity, and gender perpetuates the message that thin-beautiful white people and traits that are valued. I see how many young people buy into these beliefs and how much damage they do the younger generation. In order to begin to change the mindset of youth, we need to change the messages we are sending them through the media and our own interactions with each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment