Saturday, July 18, 2015

Communication in Different Settings

In each realm of my life I have different personas and in each persona I have a different communication style. People often ask if I alter my communication style depending on culture, and I don't think that I do. I do however alter my communication style to my audience. So at work I speak more formally and in a professional manner. My conversations are often surrounding the field of child development. At home I speak to my family less formally and have more causal conversations. I have an intimate knowledge of my family and this allows a more relaxed communication style. When out in my community I have a balance of the two styles, I am more reserved then I am with my family, but more relaxed then I am at work. I think that the key is knowing who my audience is and tailoring my conversation and communication style to the person or group I am speaking to helps me be a more effective communicator.

In order to communicating effectively it is important to remember:
1. Know your audience: It is important to know who you are speaking to and adjust your communication style to the group to ensure that the information you are sharing is passed on effectively.
2. Ask questions: This is important to knowing your audience and to make sure that you are being understood and to determine if any other changes need to be made.
3. Be clear and concise: It is important to not add too much flowery language that can confuse the listener (or reader), and to make sure your message is fully understood.

1 comment:

  1. Tamera,
    I like the idea that you have several different communication strategies depending on your audience. I think this is a good way to improve communication. I think at times we are expected to communicate more professionally with colleagues be it in this program at Walden or with colleagues and families at the schools where we are working every day. I think I interact differently with my family than I do with my students or staff at school. I think I also communicate more professionally with my fellow Walden colleagues. It seems like we all have a more professional communication in our writing style I think we are so used to writing in that manner that we just continue it with our other program participants.

    ReplyDelete